Friday, March 15, 2013

Numbers

I saw a friend at Michael's craft store the other day (that place is freaking dangerous for me). She has been reading the blog and asked me how much weight I had lost so far. She isn't the first person to ask me that and the honest answer is that I have absolutely no idea because I haven't weighed myself since before I started being more serious about this.

Writing this post it occurs to me that I haven't really gotten in to what first prompted me to start going to TRX a few months ago. I have had some lower back pain for about eight years now. At first it was very sporadic and barely bothered me but it has gotten progressively worse, especially in the last year or so. I have been to the doctor about it, had an MRI done and they aren't sure what the issue is because I don't fit the normal symptoms for sciatica and nothing showed on the MRI. No bulging disc, no pinched nerve. Nothing. My doctor recommended trying to strengthen the muscles in my back. He gave me a few simple things to do on my own but I've never been very good at following trough on that kind of stuff. I typically need something to keep me held accountable so when Arthur (TRX instructor at work) heard me taking to one of my coworkers about what the doctor had said he recommended that I start attending the Tuesday night class and that started that.

Ok, back on track here. So my mission on Saturday was to try and find a reliable, accurate scale. Do you know how hard it is to find a reliable, accurate scale? This post is something I have been contemplating since I first decided to start this blog. I've been looking at scales since that point, because whether or not I decided to make this post I knew I needed an accurate scale. I decided to start with Bed, Bath, and Beyond because it was where I had gotten a previous scale (which disappeared in a move. No clue what happened to it...). Every single one, whether it cost $19.99 or $199.99, had multiple reviews saying that the scale would give a different weight each time you stepped on it, even if it was only five minutes later. Anywhere I looked and no matter what company had made the scale, I keep running into the same complaint. The digital scales just weren't reliable. I finally decided that I needed to stop looking online and actually go in to a store and see what they had in stock. Since I was in the area I went in to Bed, Bath, and Beyond even though I wasn't able to find something on their website.

It was a little overwhelming. They had at least twenty different scales at different price points. I was prepared to spend a more than I really wanted to spend on a scale. Reasoning stating that the more expensive scales would be more accurate. I saw what I thought would be great scales at all different pricing. I decided (with my trusty iPhone) to check out some reviews on other websites besides just Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I ended up finding a really nice scale. It measures your body fat %  (I know! The only truly accurate way to measure is with a pinch test, but did you know the second most accurate way is to send small electro-magnetic currents through your hands? And we just so happen to have a device that does this at work, so I can check the accuracy of the scale that way!), your BMI, you can set a goal weight and your activity level and it will tell you approximately how many weeks it will take you to reach your goal weight and of course, it tells you how much you weigh. So, though I spent a little more than I originally intended, I think I ended up with a good buy. And, it gives me a consistent weight daily, which is the best part.

Now the hard part...putting these numbers out there for everyone to see. I have debated on whether or not to do this post since before I started this blog. But I decided that if I am going to do this then I need to do it all the way. No hiding behind anything, even if these numbers are...shameful. And even though it may be un-lady like (I am in the South after all) here they are. I currently weigh 264.2 pounds. I have a BMI* of 41.4 and a body fat percentage of 45.1%. My measurements are hips 55 inches, waist 44 inches, and bust 51 inches. These numbers will change for the better come hell or high water. I am determined. I have to be, because I can't live like this the rest of my life. Actually, I probably could, I just don't want to anymore.


Tomorrow I have my before and after photo shoot. I still need to figure out what I want to wear!! Wish me luck!


Amy <3




*A quick note about BMI: This is not really an accurate way to assess your health. Two of our instructors/personal trainers at work have a BMI that says they are obese. These men are the fittest men I know. One of them is my TRX instructor. BMI does not take into account anything other than your height and your weight so if you have a higher muscle mass than is normal (which will make you weigh more) your BMI will be "bad." I use this number only because it is representative of me at this moment and because I do not plan to go past toning my muscles.




1 comment:

  1. You are so brave, Amy. I am in awe of your honesty and willingness to share so much with those of us who read about your journey. My very worst weight was 294 lbs. You are amazing, bambina!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete