Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Love/Hate Relationship

Last night was TRX night. TRX and I are in a complicated relationship. It loves to hate me and I just hate it. Kinda sorta, but not really. I think I secretly like it. I honestly probably wouldn't have gone back after the first week if the class wasn't at my workplace. Did I forget to mention that I work at a wellness center? Yeah, so I really don't have any excuse. Arthur, the instructor, threatened to hunt me down if I didn't come back. He would have done it too so I kept going back.

I was the only one in class. Yay me! It was a very interesting experience and not in a bad way. It made me entertain the idea of a personal trainer more seriously. I had thought about it, but it can be pricey so I haven't committed to the idea yet.

This TRX class isn't strictly TRX at the moment. With our youth basketball league we don't have space in the gym for our evening classes so we have to get creative. Arthur rises to the challenge. We did a tabata on the spin bike. I officially seriously dislike the spin bike. It was a great way to get my heart rate up and work my legs, but it was so freaking uncomfortable. I've never really been interested in taking a spin class, but that definitely put that possibility firmly off the table.

For those of you unfamiliar with this newer workout tool, it was developed by the Navy Seals. They wanted something compact and light weight they could carry with them so they could stay fit while deployed. It is a very simple system. One strap hooks on to the wall (about 8ft up) or can be anchored in the door and it splits in to two separate straps with handles and cradles that you can put your feet in. Boy did they ever do a good job with this invention. Your imagination is your limit with this system. You can do sit ups, rows, crunches, push ups, presses, flys, anything and everything that your little heart could desire. The boys in the picture below are in the raised position, think about the angle they will be at when they lower themselves. That is a serious angle right there.

                                         Photo by Joyce Costello, USAG Livorno Public Affairs.

The thing I actually really do like about TRX is that anyone can do it. I am at least 100lbs over weight and I am using this system that was developed by the freaking Navy Seals. As Arthur would say, "that right there is a little bit of awesome."

Today I feel pretty good. No soreness, wouldn't even know I had worked out. Tomorrow is what I like to think of as the day of pain. It is also when I have my sculpting class. Wish me luck!

Amy <3

1 comment:

  1. Yay Arthur! I'm so glad you work there and get to do these classes! If I lived closer, I'd join you :)

    ReplyDelete